Ever gotten dressed then brushed your hair only to find a million little white specks all over your outfit? Dandruff can be an embarrassing problem to have and unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) a common one too. In fact, statistics show that at least half of adults suffer from dandruff.
More often than not, the culprit for this skin condition is dry skin but there can also be genetic or environmental factors that contribute to this. It usually stems from overproduction of oil on your scalp that then causes the skin cells to clump together and appear as white flakes.
Some other causes could include:
- Using harsh shampoos often
- Not cleaning your hair regularly
- Reaction to hair care products
- Skin condition like seborrhoeic dermatitis
- Hormonal changes
- A diet high in saturated fats
One’s instinct may be to douse your hair in oils and products to counter the dry flakes but this is actually a fallacy. Excess oils and products will only lead to increase build up and make the situation worse.
And whereas there’s no clear-cut way to stop this from happening, here are some simple things you could do that would help reduce the amount of dandruff and possibly get rid of it completely.
- Clean your hair regularly (although avoid harsh shampoos) to avoid build up of product.
- Use anti-dandruff shampoo with ingredients such as ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, salicylic acid, sulfur, coal tar, or zinc pyrithione. Remember to rinse completely. Any product build up will just increase the amount of dandruff.
- Mix some apple cider vinegar with warm water and use it to rinse your hair after shampoo. Massage your scalp for a few minutes thereafter to help increase circulation of blood.
- Drink lots of water. This will aid in bringing moisture in your skin and reducing the dryness
- Surprisingly, stress can also worsen dandruff. Try live a stress-free life and watch each flake disappear one smile at a time!
- Tea tree oil is also a great natural way to reduce dandruff. Add a few drops to your favourite shampoo.